Sunday, August 14, 2016

A511.1.3.RB - Two-Way Street - Module 1

In the summer of 2011, I volunteered to be a part of a humanitarian team that would live in the city of San Diego, distribute literature and care for the needs of young adults. Having just left the military, this was going to be a new experience for me all together. One, I had never lived on the floor of churches and other buildings that allowed missionaries to stay there, and two, I had never been in an environment saturated with young teenagers looking for direction and guidance.

The leader on site for this project, Justin, was a young man himself. I was by far the oldest person there, and I was only about 25 years of age at the time. Despite that age gap, and feeling as though I had no peers there, I decided to keep an open mind. I was determined to figure out how I could integrate with the team and contribute my life experience and skills to the team.

As the summer progressed, Justin and I were able to connect on a number of subjects that we had in common, and as we grew our friendship, he became more open to receiving small amounts of feedback from me on leadership. Having life experience and having left leadership and management positions from the military, I did have a great deal to offer him, but it would fall on deaf ears if a relationship didn't exist as a foundation.

I was able to influence Justin to spend more time, outside of work, with her co-leaders. Taking time out of his day to focus on the other group leaders, so that they could in turn focus on the young teenagers that were there. In short, instead of focusing on 25 teenagers, he could focus on three co-leaders as they focus on the other teens. I saw him taking the advice and understanding the hints as I left them, and I saw the tension in his co-leaders subside as he took time to come along them.

Our relationship wasn't a one sided relationship. I also learned a great deal by working with Justin that summer. I learned that there has be a balance of being serious and focused as a leader, with coming down to the level of those that follow you and interacting with them on their level. Justin would take time to play games with his teenagers, spend time with them enough to develop inside jokes and gestures. This gave him buy-in as the summer progressed. Not only was he their leader, he was also their friend.

I believe that summer was a growing experience for both of us. Justin also influenced me to continue on in this form of work, as I am still involved with it today.

No comments:

Post a Comment